Thursday, January 10

What Phobia Are You?

This post is not one of those "canned" quizzes we find out on the internet. This one is solely mine. When I sat down to write this post, I was wondering if my fear actually had a technical term. I Googled "fear of birds" and the term ornithophobia came up. Well, that's me. I suffer from Ornithophobia.

A couple common phobias we have all heard of are Claustrophobia, fear of confined spaces and Acrophobia, fear of heights. My fear is just as real as these.

Before I begin this story I want everyone to know I respect people who love their birds. I’m just afraid of them.

You may be wondering why I am writing about this today. Yesterday evening hubby was piddling in the garage when I opened the door from the house into the garage to ask him something. This outside garage door was open and I saw a bird circling between the outside door and the ceiling. Naturally I screamed, “There’s a bird” and slammed the door. It took quite a while for this bird to find his way to the bottom of the garage and to the outside. Hubby said once the bird was free from the garage door it kept flying into the walls. I didn’t witness any of this.

This was the second bird that has been trapped in our garage in the past 4 years. The first time both doors to the garage were closed when I opened the door from the house into the garage to put some garbage into the garbage can when I saw a bird circling. In my former house I had several birds come down through the chimney until I had a topper put on. And, once I had a bird trapped in a tree hanging upside down with a string around its foot and tree branch. I wrote about that experience here.

In 1967 while on a road trip to Canada with 1st hubby, a bird flew into our car, and was flapping around in the backseat. Believe me, I almost lost it that day.

We all have our fears. While doing my research I also learned the technical name of a few other phobias I have. Dental phobia, fear of dental procedures. This is so strong I am usually given valium before procedures. Trypanophobia, fear of needles or injections. And last but not least is Gephyrophobia, fear of bridges. This only occurs when I am stopped in traffic on a bridge. I’m very uncomfortable with the swaying of the bridge.

Some phobias I found very bazaar are; Triskaidekaphobia, fear of the number 13 or Tetraphobia, fear of the number 4. And how about Technophobia fear of technology.

What phobias do you have? For more phobias you can check out this webpage.







4 comments:

Talk..to..Grams said...

Bless your heart!! I didn't think I had any until I had to have a MRI and I found out I DO!! I have to have a open MRI or I would just Flip out!!
I have a fun award over at my blog for you! When you have time come on over and pick it up!! Love, Carolyn

Suzy said...

Linda~
I do fear heights, and confined spaces,but my greatest fear,without a doubt,is the DENTIST!!!
But the one way we differ is I love birds,and have two 17-year old talking cockateils!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

The only one that I know about is fear of small spaces. I never had that until menopause hit me then bang I could not stand being enclosed!! I have to take meds to go into a closed MRI but now they have the open ones and it is a lot easier on me. My sister in law is afraid of birds too. I don't think I am. I love watching them. They are so pretty...but i can understand. Sandy

Nonnas News said...

I am definitley afraid of heights and confined spaces!! I do get scared going over high bridges or old riggety ones, but I think old bridges are pretty.