Monday, May 26

Heads orTails


This week's theme/prompt is: Tails
We are to tell about a job we have had.

I gave 23 years of my life to state government. I worked for the Bureau for Public Health and was the director of the Division of Recruitment. We were charged with the recruitment and retention of physicians, mid-levels and nurses for our rural areas. In addition to recruitment and retention we administered three different loan repayment programs. The health professional would receive medical educational loan repayment in return for a two year obligation in a rural area. Do you remember the TV show "Northern Exposure"? This was the concept for these programs. We were also responsible for determining what areas of the state were classified as Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) and Medically Underserved Areas (MUA). This was done by gathering data and following federal guidelines. Areas were updated annually. We also administered the J-1 Visa Waiver Program. This program afforded foreign medical graduates the opportunity to stay in this country and work provided they work in an underserved area. WOW, I can't believe I remembered that much detail!!!

The best part of my job was the people. I knew every hospital administrator and primary care clinic administrator in the state, worked closely with our three medical schools, had close working relationship with the federal offices in Philadelphia and Washington, DC. I also belonged to a national organization where I worked with my counterpart in all 50 states. These are the people I miss. I have only stayed in touch with a few. My biggest challenge with my job was trying to accomplish the goals of the program under the restraints of state government.

For more HoT participants go here.

13 comments:

Juliana RW said...

wow...great job you had

Mine in here Thanks

Anonymous said...

23 years ? that's amazing. pure dedication. hats off to you!

mine is here!
hope you can visit. thanks.

Barb said...

I was thinking about the TV show Northern Expose as I was reading, but couldn't think of the name. :)

Nonnas News said...

Sounds like a great job!! You must have really loved it too since you were there for over 20 years!! Way to go!!

Tina said...

wow sounds like you had a really high profile interesting job!

You must have liked it to stay there all that time lol

Hope you got s good leaving present!

Thanks for stopping by my place

Rambler said...

23 years is a looong time..I hope I am as enthusiastic as you at the end of my carrier..

Susan Demeter said...

Sounds like a rewarding job experience. Wow 23 years!

Happy HOT day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Gina said...

Wow, sounds like such a great job!!

Stop by my HOT:
HERE

Inspiration Alley said...

Sounds like a very responsible job, you must have liked it to stay so long.

Talk..to..Grams said...

I bet you did a great job!!! 23years!! WOW!! Love and hugs Grams

storyteller said...

Yup ... it's often the people who make or break any 'job' isn't it? Sounds like you found this one satisfying and stimulating.

My HoTs 'Jobs' post is after my Ten on Tuesday at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Yes, when you leave a job where you are dealing with lots of people, it feels lonely after you leave till you start getting creative on your own. See, that is why you blog!

Hope you can stop by my historic house guide post.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I see by your clock that it is almost 3:00 in the afternoon...where has this day gone?
I understand about missing people at your job..you know you never miss the job just the people. i still do. Go see what i did last night. i had a great time..Sandy