Saturday, August 30

Labor Day weekend in Charleston means the Sternwheel Regatta which means tens of thousands of people gather on Kanawha Boulevard to enjoy looking at the boats plus enjoying the food and music. The Regatta features nightly concerts highlighting both regional and national acts.

The Kanawha Boulevard is closed off to traffic for this 4 day event to celebrate the end of summer. The activities that I enjoy the most have been the Funeral Parade where anyone can dress in costume and dance in the street to New Orleans jazz music. After the parade costumes are judged and winners are announced. Adults and children alike participate in this parade. I must say there are some very unusual costumes.

There are rides for the children, food booths set up for everyone, the 15-mile Charleston Distance Run and Walk where thousands of people from all over the world participate. There's also hot air balloons night glow and lift-off and a spectacular fireworks on Sunday night.

This afternoon I attended the Taste of Charleston with a girlfriend, and her mother and sister. This event offers a wide variety of our local cuisine. I took my camera and took several shots and was so disappointed when I uploaded them to the computer. I used my small Canon which usually takes decent pictures, but these were not good at all. I'm posting 2 just so you can see what I mean. The first one is a set up of the event and the second one is of our mayor and the contestants for Miss Sternwheel Regatta. I tried to brighten the one picture but it just looked worse. Guess I'm spoiled with my new camera, but it's just to big to take to an event like this.






We sampled ribs, salmon cakes, long green peppers stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon then grilled (yummy) and stuffed grape leaves. Let me make it clear, these were samples, not full fledged servings. However, we were stuffed after sampling these foods.

Afterwards my girlfriend and I decided we would go to the mall and shop for awhile. We were fortunate to find a couple good deals on sale.

If you ever plan on visiting Charleston, West Virginia over labor day weekend, this is a wonderful way to end the summer!!

I hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend!!

9 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Yes I remember going through there on our trip!! I don't think I would like a big camera. I love just carrying it in my purse and then pulling it out when I need it. I love those kinds of pictures..On the spot kind. I got a cute one of Garrett yesterday while we were shopping that I would not have with a BIG CAMERA..Have a great weekend..

storyteller said...

Sounds like lots of fun … and TASTY too ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Susan said...

Oh I would so love that!! I have some very dear friends who live there. This is one thing you get in the North, but not so much here in Florida...these types of festivals, I mean. Sounds like fun.

Hugs,

Susan

Betty said...

Hi Linda,

Sounds like a fun 4 day event to attend. Stuffed grape leaves? Never heard of that. Did you sample those, and were they good.

Hope you have had a great weekend and will have a good week ahead.

Nonnas News said...

I love my big camera, but like you, just cant take it everywhere, plus I like the video feature on my small camera. I just bought a little Kodak 10mg camera for my purse and it takes great pictures so far.

Looks like a fun event!!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Linda,

The Sternwheel Regatta sounds like a fun event for the Labor Day weekend. Wish we had something like that around here. The samplings sound yummy. I've had stuffed grape leaves and they're good. And hey, shopping at the mall is always good exercise! lol.

Have a great week!

Hugs,

Renie

Renee said...

A festival, food samples and shopping...can it get any better? Glad you had a good holiday!

Amazing Gracie said...

I would love to visit Charleston! My hubman and I would like to do a "Civil War" trek through your part of our nation.
p.s. It's been a long time since I've visited - I'm so sorry! And I love the look of your blog!!!
~~~Blessings~~~

Tina Coruth said...

What fun! Great post, tastey, too! :-)