Tuesday, March 6

It's all about the Slaw

I have my computer set to load Yahoo as my homepage. There I am able to peruse the headlines before I began browsing the web. Today, for reasons unknown, I clicked on the Life tap. There I read an article about the advantages of drinking green tea. Yada yada…. Then I saw a link to “Easy Dinner Recipes”. I had to follow that link. I find it harder and harder to come up with something new for dinner. On this page I saw Yahoo Food Videos that listed the following as the most watched food videos: Easy Bake Manicotti, How to Make an Omelet, Hot Dog Heaven, and Crisp Cooked Noodles. Being a huge fan of hot dogs, I had to check out the hot dog video. The hot dog joint they feature is Pink’s in Los Angeles which has been in business for 60 years. They call their “original hot dog” the "chili cheese hot dog". Other topping they offer is pastrami, sauerkraut, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes…..that’s not a hot dog!..

Just to set everyone straight, West Virginia makes the best hot dogs. I knew there had to be a website about our hot dogs. I Googled WV hot dogs and lo and behold, there it was, a page defining the WV hot dog along with a picture diagramming the construction of the hot dog. The secret to our hot dog lies with the slaw. The WV hot dog consists of a warm bun, weenie, mustard, beanless chili, cole slaw and onions. Nothing else is to be added. You may ask why not ketchup? Because it disguises the flavor of the chili. Borrowing from the WV hot dog site,

In the film Sudden Impact, San Francisco detective Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) launches a tirade while conversing with a cop who's munching a ketchup-topped dog at a murder scene:

"Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me — the shootings, the knifings, the beatings... old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks[.] [...] Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody... I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog."

We agree with Harry.

No comments: