Tuesday, December 5

$250.00 Cookie Recipe

I was going through my recipes today in order to plan my holiday baking. I ran across this cookie recipe with an explanation how this person obtained this particular version and thought I would share it here. I have no idea if this is true or not. I can’t even remember who gave me the recipe and I have not tried it myself.

My daughter and I had finished a salad at the Neiman-Marcus CafĂ© in Dallas and decided to have a small dessert. Because our family members are such “Cookie monsters”, we decided to try the Neiman-Marcus Cookie. It was so good that I asked if they would give me the recipe. She said with a frown, “I’m afraid not”. “Well”, I said, “Would you let me buy the recipe?” With a cute smile, she agreed. I asked how much, and she responded “Two Fifty”. I said with approval, “Just add it to my tab”.

Thirty days later I receive my statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was “$285.00. I looked again and remembered I had only spent “$9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement is said “Cookie Recipe – “$250.00 for a cookie recipe. I asked them to take back the recipe and reduce my bill, but they said they were sorry, but all the recipes were this expensive so not just anyone could duplicate the bakery recipes…the bill would stand.

I thought of how I could get even or try to get my money back. I just said okay, you folks got my $250.00 and now I’m going to have $250.00 worth of fun. I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover will have the $250.00 recipe from Neiman-Marcus for nothing. She replied, I wish you wouldn’t do this.” I said “I’m sorry, but this is the only way I feel I can get even and I will”. So here it is, please pass it on to someone else or run a few copies…I paid for it, now you can have it for free!!!

You can tell how old this note is; otherwise this would have been circulated all over the world via e-mail.

Here’s the recipe

2 cups butter 1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar 2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups brown sugar 2 tsp. soda
4 eggs 24 oz. chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla 1-8oz. Hershey bar, grated
4 cups flour 3 cups chopped nuts
5 cups blended oatmeal*

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with four, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts.

Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 °. Makes 112 cookies (recipe may be halved).

*Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

No comments: